The Thing day was a great success and we hope to do more work with the schools who participated and to hold similar days with other Orkney schools. All is dependent on securing future funding.
If you wish to hold a similar event this is some of what we’d advise
- Keep it simple and well-structured.
- Don’t do too much.
- Allow lots of time for toilet breaks, getting on and off buses etc.
- Involve the teachers at every stage in the planning. They more they know, the better they can prime the children for the event.
- Don’t second-guess on the health and safety, and you might be pleasantly surprised at what the schools will go along with.
- Have a good back-up plan for bad weather
- Lots of support staff
Photo: Eileen Brooke-Freeman